NEW YORK, NY – 07-22-2019 (PRDistribution.com) — Unagented Adult Romance Manuscripts Will Be Accepted from July 22 through September 15, 2019
Romance Publisher Seeks Writers of all Gender Identity, Ethnicity, Race, Sexual Orientation, Religion, National Origin, Ability.
#OwnVoices Highly Encouraged
Avon Books announces an “open submission” opportunity, which provides a remarkable opening for unagented romance writers to have their finished work of fiction put in front of the Avon editorial team for consideration. This open submission period enables the publisher to query manuscripts by writers of all gender identity, ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, religion, national origin and ability. All subgenres of Adult romance fiction are welcome; there is only one mandate: HEA (happily ever after) or HFN (happy for now) conclusions are required!
To participate, writers must remit their manuscript, a three-to-five-page synopsis, and 100-word author bio to https://www.harpercollins.com/avonsubmissions no later than September 15, 2019.
“We are looking to support the publication of own voices romances; to acquire; to continue actively growing our list; and to increase representation,” says editorial director Erika Tsang. She continues, “This is not a contest; we want to make multiple offers. As such, the editors are encouraging all voices to participate, and we are looking to offer print publishing opportunities for compelling, heartfelt romances featuring authentic perspectives.”
“Avon Books strives to ensure that its list is inclusive of the myriad cultures, backgrounds, viewpoints and voices of our authors, our readers, and the world we live in,” affirms William Morrow/Avon Books President and Publisher Liate Stehlik. “We hope to launch many into successful publishing careers with Avon.”
Guidelines for the Open Submission Include:
• Submissions cannot be previously published, whether by digital-only publisher, traditional publisher, or self-published.
• Only full-length novels may be submitted; in English, between 75k-85k words.
• Word doc or PDF preferred, double-spaced, 12-point font. All other formatting is up to the author. (If the Avon editors are able to read it, authors may submit it.)
• Submissions must have a 3-5 page synopsis and a 100-word author bio.
• Avon does not publish poetry, memoirs/non-fiction, children’s books, Young Adult or graphic novels. We cannot consider any books that fall into these categories.
• Those submitting do not need an agent! If a writer has been previously published by an independent, small or medium publishing house, please reference that in the submission.
• Agented authors should not submit via this portal; their representatives should send proposals to the Avon editorial team in the traditional method.
• Submissions must be received by September 15, 2019.
• Please allow 12 weeks for a response.
• Entries will only be accepted via the web portal. https://www.harpercollins.com/avonsubmissions
• Please see harpercollins.com/avonsubmissions for additional submission details and terms
Inclusion at Avon Books:
For more than 75 years, Avon has published the best in romance fiction; and our novels have evolved to reflect the times we live in (even if the story takes place in historical times). People everywhere should have access to relevant stories that reflect their backgrounds, interests and cultures. Our authors write about issues that affect and affirm the readership: diverse cultural and societal values; feminism and consent; sexual and body positivity; LGBTQ+ and ability. We believe that love is love, and everyone is deserving of a deeply personal, empowering happily ever after.
Avon’s diverse author list reflects that which romance legend Beverly Jenkins has taught us: “We all love. And the industry should reflect everyone.” Avon is proud to publish books by talents such as Mary Castillo, Alyssa Cole, Rita Ewing, Kim Wong Keltner, Tracey Livesay, Selena Montgomery, Sonia Singh, Mia Sosa, Alisha Rai, Cat Sebastian, Nisha Sharma, Talia Hibbert and Olivia Waite.
Avon supports initiatives that aim to improve inclusion, regardless of race, age, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation. In 2018, Avon established the Beverly Jenkins Diverse Voices Sponsorship to encourage writers from diverse backgrounds to be more fully represented at the Romance Writers of America (RWA) annual conference, and to receive more exposure to, and attention by, major publishing houses.
About HarperCollins Publishers:
HarperCollins Publishers is the second largest consumer book publisher in the world, with operations in 17 countries. With 200 years of history and more than 120 branded imprints around the world, HarperCollins publishes approximately 10,000 new books every year in 16 languages and has a print and digital catalog of more than 200,000 titles. Writing across dozens of genres, HarperCollins authors include winners of the Nobel Prize, the Pulitzer Prize, the National Book Award, the Newbery and Caldecott Medals and the Man Booker Prize. HarperCollins, headquartered in New York, is a subsidiary of News Corp and can be visited online at corporate.HC.com.
For the original news story, please visit https://prdistribution.com/news/avon-books-is-open-for-submissions.html.
Powered by WPeMatico